Since the beginning of H2020 six topics directly focused on nature-based solutions (NBS) have been listed in the work programme under Societal challenge 5 (Climate action, environment, resource efficiency, and raw materials) and Cross-cutting activity Smart and Sustainable cities. The following topics have been already closed and evaluated:
- SC5-08-2017: Large-scale demonstrators on nature-based solutions for hydro-meteorological risk reduction
- SC5-09-2016: Operationalising insurance value of ecosystems
- SC5-10-2016: Multi-stakeholder dialogue platform to promote innovation with nature to address societal challenges
- SCC-02-2016-2017: Demonstrating innovative nature-based solutions in cities
- SCC-03-2016: New governance, business, financing models and economic impact assessment tools for sustainable cities with nature-based solutions (urban re-naturing)
- SCC-04-2016: Sustainable urbanisation
Available data sources (mainly the eCORDA database, January 2018) register 122 project proposals focusing on NBS issues in selected six topics. Seven project proposals did not meet the formal requirements needed for peer-review evaluation, and thus were classified as “INELIGIBLE”. Fifty-six project proposals were rejected during the first stage of the evaluation process. The remaining 59 project proposals were submitted to the final evaluation round as “full proposals”. Based on the results of the evaluation process, 16 project proposals were recommended for funding from the H2020 budget and other 17 high quality projects proposals ended above the threshold in evaluation process.